The Curse of the Small Feet














Is there anything more frustrating in the world than having small feet? Seriously! I have lived with this infliction for all my life and it stinks! I think I first noticed my feet were small when I was in 7th grade. The movie Aladdin had just come out and I loved it. A few days after the movie had come out I was at the mall with some friend and I spotted Aladdin shoes---they were in my size! Awesome! I couldn't resist and I purchased them immediately. Yeah, I know. So back in 7th grade my small feet had a little advantage. In High School I began to realize having small feet was a pain! It suddenly mattered what I put on my feet and finding shoes that looked normal (for my age) in my size was nearly impossible. Thank goodness for converse and brands that had the same style kid and adult shoes. Ordering my cheerleading shoes became expensive. I had to special order my kids size 3 by mail. My mom wasn't too happy about that. Finding high heel shoes for dances was a nightmare as well. Nowadays I still have a hard time finding shoes and I hate to shoe shop. Just this summer I was trying to find myself some sandals. Do you know how hard it is to find kid shoes that don't light up these days? Ridiculous! Why do you need lights on your shoes anyway?

Anyway, Derek has small feet. Derek is just plain small for his age. My friend called the other day to let me know that stores now had their soccer stuff out and in just 2 weeks soccer practices would be starting for my kids. She told me that these stores run out of soccer supplies by the time Ayso starts around here so to get to the stores in the next couple of days. Since the kids and I didn't have plans on Saturday I decided to go soccer shopping. After going to 7 stores Derek now has soccer cleats. They are a little big on him but they are the smallest they make 'em. He wears a size 7 in toddlers and the cleats are a size 8. Oh well, they'll probably still fit him next year. I now am a pro at soccer shopping. I can tell you where the specialty soccer only shops are located and everyone's current pricing on youth soccer items. Oh yeah....hello soccer mom!

6 comments:

I remember your small feel! I loved the commentary on it and I started cracking up at when you mentioned the lights on all the shoes because it is so true!

July 20, 2008 at 9:04 PM  

Thanks Shawna for voting and I love the blog, you are hilarious!!

July 20, 2008 at 10:55 PM  

Oh, I am so sorry! I feel the same way about clothes just the opposite everything is always too small and when you get to bigger sizes you all of a sudden need to look like a grandma or my mom! I hate to clothes shop and love to shoe shop. I feel your pain! Thanks for the laugh!

July 21, 2008 at 9:47 AM  

I didn't realize your feet were that small! For the longest time my feet were size 3 -4. Now, I wear between a 4- 6, depending on the shoe (larger shoes fit my wide feet better). Any way, your post was so funny. Too bad your kids got your small feet. So far I think Emma is the only one that has gotten my small feet. But since she is a girl, we haven't had any problems finding shoes! I am sure it will be a problem someday. And you are right, not all kids shoes should light up! I guess the shoe makers don't know who buys (or wants to buy) their shoes.

July 21, 2008 at 4:25 PM  

I didn't realize you had such small feet! Corinne already wears a size 8. But she really isn't that much younger than Derek. Brynne is almost in adult sizes!
Having big feet isn't any fun either! A lot of cute shoes don't look good when they are really big! I've been a size ten since I was 12 years old! For sports I had to wear boys shoes because they didn't make them that big!! Luckily I wasn't the only one on my teams with big feet!!

July 22, 2008 at 6:46 AM  

Oh my, Ive been wanting a pair of little girl sandals since like March! I also want light up ones. It's okay, because if it makes you feel any better, Ive never noticed your small feet. But now I will notice them.

July 24, 2008 at 8:26 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home