Italy Thoughts


A few years ago my family was privileged to "gain" a new member of our family. Jared Cass came to live with us. Jared quickly became my kids' best buddy. Over time he found his place in our family. Today he is serving a mission for our church in Italy. I couldn't be more proud.

Jared has been gone for over a year and still has 8 months before he returns. Our kids talk about Jared all the time. Tonight, at the dinner table they were offering cheers (with goldfish crackers). The first "cheers" was for good health (offered by Chloe). Health is something that little one doesn't take for granted and is usually her first "toast." Derek then toasted to Jared being on a mission to be happy. This gave me goose bumps all over. Because right now Jared isn't too happy. Life sometimes gets us down and our human communication issues sometimes feed into that. This is what has been happening to Jared. Poor kid. I know I have been frustrated with communication issues while he has been out on a mission too. We (our family) has sent him packages that he has never gotten. This has been a BIG frustration to me. Especially since they cost us an arm and leg to send. Anyway, when Derek said that Jared was on a mission to be happy it got me thinking. Happiness is His plan ultimately. Being on a mission and acting as Him is and does make you happy. Jared is on a mission to be happy. I know Jared's mood of being sad will be over soon. In fact, it probably already is. It makes me sad that he isn't here and that we don't have immediate contact (communication) with him to make it all better.

Jared has missed quite a bit at home since he's been gone. He's missed "his baby" (Derek) start soccer, learn to write, ride a bike without training wheels, do flips on the trampoline, his 3rd and 4th birthdays, etc. Jared wasn't here for Preston's baseball season, soccer, star student award, cool tricks on his bike at skate parks, getting glasses, his 7th birthday, etc. Since Jared has been gone Chloe has started school, learned to tie shoes, learned to write her name and sentences, paint really well, sing, transform her room, turned 5, cracked her skull, etc. Jared has indeed missed a lot while he's been away. We have missed him for sure. But we are glad he is where he is. We wouldn't have it any other way. So it's bittersweet.

Today I asked the kids about Jared. I asked each of them what their favorite thing about Jared was.
Derek said "He's happy and he laugh and laugh. He throw me way high and we laugh."
Chloe replied, "He hugs me and calls me princess. He loves my heart and my drawings."
Preston said, "Heavenly Father told him to go on a mission and he is. He is helping other citizens know about Jesus. I also love when he plays baseball with me and takes me for ice cream."
So sweet. They love him so much. He is their brother.

Tonight I am missing him (and thinking I have a lot of scarpbooking to do for him). So, I will do one of our lil traditions this Sunday night. I will make hot chocolate and sip it while watching our show Jared. Cheers to Jared for serving in Italy!

2 comments:

I love this!! The kids are sooo cute!! Yay to your toast!! =)

October 14, 2008 at 6:17 PM  

Awww....

I miss Jared too! Hooray for 8 months though... I will have to come down (if possible) once he gets back.

October 17, 2008 at 1:06 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home